SACRED LEADERSHIP: From the ancient past to the emerging future; an Australian pathway to leadership
Enhanced by art, music and a bespoke performance from students of the Sydney Dance Company, we will bring to life findings from Tjanara Goreng Goreng's PhD research: 'The road to Eldership: How Aboriginal culture creates sacred leaders'.
"This is about transformation; transforming ourselves, our workplaces and the planet." - Tjanara Goreng Goreng
Tuesday 19 June 2018 - Art Gallery NSW - 830am to midday + optional working lunch
Our leaders are struggling. Public trust in government, media and business is at an all-time low*. Many of our institutions, including our banks and churches, and the environment are in crisis.
A new approach to leadership is needed - one grounded in respect and responsibility. Could Australia's Indigenous hold the key to a better and sustainable world?
Drawing on her research, accomplished career and tens of thousands of years of oral knowledge, not found in any book, Tjanara is ready to share her leadership insights and stories with Australia's business community.
This will be an immersive Talkpoint experience that stretches your intellectual, emotional and spiritual intelligence.
Commencing in THE ART GALLERY NSW, Tjanara will introduce us to the wisdom that informs "Sacred Leadership". An integration of teachings from modern experts, such as Robert Kegan, and indigenous wisdom including the principles of kanyini. Come prepared to listen, reflect and ask questions.
For those ready to deepen their understanding and take practical steps toward applying Tjanara's teaching to their leadership and culture strategies, we will continue the journey across the road at THE PAVILION RESTAURANT.
INTRODUCING TJANARA GORENG GORENG
Tjanara is a Wakka Wakka Wulli Wulli Traditional Owner. She was born in 1958 in the outback at Longreach in central western Queensland and has had a fascinating, at times challenging, life plus a diverse and accomplished career. Her professional background includes: being an academic researcher; teacher; psychotherapist; artist; community development worker; senior policy director at the Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet and corporate transformational leadership consultant. Tjanara is an Adjunct Assistant Professor and Research Scholar in Eldership - Sacred Leadership at ANU and she has just completed her Doctorate entitled ‘The road to Eldership: How Aboriginal culture creates sacred leaders’.
Tjanara's memoir "A Long Way From No Go" is being published in September 2018 and is available to pre-order here. It tells a story of resilience, courage and Tjanara’s remarkable capacity to overcome unending barriers. She will be sharing stories from her life, career and research with us on June 19th.
In the two minute videos below, Tjanara shares with Talkpoint's Robyn Katz what she means by Sacred Leadership and what it takes to be an Elder.
RESOURCES AND MEDIA
INTRODUCING MARK SPAIN
Mark joins Tjanara and Talkpoint from Global Learning as co-designer and facilitator of this event. Mark has been working with leaders in Australia for 30+ years. He is skilled at developing systems, structures and processes that build innovation, curiosity and high-trust relationships with people and their organisations to produce sustainable business results.
Watch the video to hear Mark talk about Sacred Leadership (90 seconds)
THE EVENT | TUES 19 JUNE | SYDNEY
- PART ONE - 8:30AM TO MIDDAY - ART GALLERY NSW: In the elegant theatre adjacent to the Aboriginal Exhibition, Tjanara will talk to us about the 'what' of sacred leadership. She will weave storytelling, art and academic excellence to bring higher consciousness to those who come to listen and ask questions. Enhanced with music, meditation and a bespoke performance from students of the Bangarra Dance Theatre this will be an embodied experience of sacred leadership.
- PART TWO - 12:30PM TO 2:00PM - THE PAVILION: For those interested in deepening their understanding and ready to take practical steps, we invite you to continue the journey across the road at the Pavilion restaurant. Join us for an exclusive lunch and open space technology workshop expertly co-facilitated by Tjanara, Mark Spain and Talkpoint. This 'so what' exercise will integrate what we have learned with your leadership and culture strategies.
WHO IS THIS EVENT FOR:
- Leaders, emerging leaders and changemakers ready to transform themselves, their workplaces and the planet
- Business people curious about a sustainable, Australian model of leadership that respects the self, others and the environment
- Individuals, groups and teams seeking a connective learning experience and opportunity to elevate their thinking and explore new perspectives
- All those who share our aspiration to humanise work
WHAT YOU WILL TAKE AWAY:
- An introduction to eldership and what it means to be a sacred leader
- An experience of the ancient wisdom that has been passed down orally for tens of thousands of years in Australia
- Time to reflect on your individual impact and responsibility
- Those who attend the FULL EXPERIENCE will also gain time to dialogue, workshop and apply the learnings to their leadership strategies over a facilitated working lunch
TICKET OPTIONS AND PRICES
To reach as many people as possible we have two options and price points. The first, DADIRRI, includes Part One only. The second, FULL EXPERIENCE, includes Part One and Two and includes lunch. Prices include GST. If there is anything we can do to support your participation, please reach out.
DADIRRI - PART ONE (8:30am to midday):
- Individual Ticket: $350 +fees*
- Group of 3+: $310pp +fees* when purchasing 3 or more tickets
FULL EXPERIENCE - PART ONE & TWO (8:30am to 2pm, includes lunch):
- Individual Ticket: $595 +fees*
- Table of 8: $4,500 +fees*
FULL EXPERIENCE SEATS ARE LIMITED.
*We are selling tickets online via humantix, an Australian social enterprise ticketing platform. They donate all profits from booking fees to a partner charity chosen by the event organiser. We have chosen MADALAH.
To organise paying by direct deposit, or to arrange individual invoices when purchasing group tickets, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are longing to attend but strapped for cash please contact email@example.com - we have some alternative options for those with a genuine desire to contribute.
Full Experience tickets will remain on sale until Friday 15 June, Dadirri tickets will remain on sale until doors open (unless we sell out sooner).
Talkpoint curates, produces and facilitates connective peer-to-peer learning experiences designed to #humanisework. We create spaces for conversations that matter and generate courage to lead wholeheartedly.
“We do not need international experts to teach us about leadership in Australia. We have always had everything we need right here. Tjanara’s gift is her ability to integrate, embody and transcend the wisdom from both our western and Indigenous cultures. She has a lot to teach us and we have everything to gain by listening.” - Robyn Katz, Founder & Director, Talkpoint